Tuesday 28 June 2016

Programming for Spelling while incorporating the THRASS program

A couple of years ago now, I was formally trained in THRASS. I remember coming home absolutely exhausted but inspired about what I had learned. I began incorporating what I learned into my own teaching, but it has taken time. My colleague and I had to think of a way to inspire the teachers back at home and think of ways to incorporate our knowledge across Years 3-6.

We ended up creating a program that contained eight spelling lists that looked at one phoneme a week. The idea was, that teachers could pick a list that best fit their class/ group of students. It was flexible enough, that the program could work around their own teaching practices. I guess it achieved what we set out for it to do.

However, my colleague and I feel that we need to update our programs. So for this blog post I thought I'd share some of the PROS and CONS to our current program and share where we want to go with it all next.

As I mentioned, our Years 3-6 program has eight differentiated lists to cater to the varying spelling abilities. Each week we look at a different THRASS phoneme. We study a consonant, followed by a vowel, and then repeat. Our program looks like this:

You can download a copy of our program HERE.

Now here are some of the PROS:
  • All of the hard work was done. Teachers didn't have to think about spelling lists and themes. It was already done for them.
  • Across the year, students are exposed to all 44 speech sounds (phonemes).
  • The program is simple and easy to use. So even if a teacher hasn't participated in formal training, they should be able to effectively use the program.
And now here are some of the CONS:
  • Phonological strategies is only one small part of the content that needs to be covered in "Spelling". Students need to also look at word origins, base words, suffixes and prefixes, etc.
  • While the program provided teachers with a spelling list, it didn't effectively provide teachers with a template of HOW to teach spelling.
  • The program did not include any word work activities and strategies.
  • My colleague and I did not have a proper opportunity to explain the program to all staff before it was implemented.
  • Not enough teachers at my school had been formally trained in THRASS.
  • We are working with a limited amount of THRASS resources as our school is building up their collection.
  • The THRASS program itself, is a whole-school program. However, we were only teaching students from Years 3-6 (this was originally decided upon due to lack of resources).
So we decided to do some research and figure out ways to IMPROVE our current Spelling program. That was when I stumbled across Normanton State School's whole-school Spelling Program. My mind was blown at the amount of work the teachers over there had invested into such an impressive document. YOU HAVE TO CHECK IT OUT! You can download a copy of it HERE.

The Normanton State School Spelling Program (NSSSP) explicitly explains HOW spelling should be taught. It also provides teachers with already created spelling lists as well as word work activities. The NSSSP document also includes spelling assessments for each grade and a comprehensive marking guide. The program extends from Kindergarten (or Prep) right through to Year 10. And finally it also covers most elements (if not all) of word knowledge across their spelling lists. What more could I ask for?

I feel like this program has inspired me to update our current program so that it is of a similar standard.


So… Where to now???

The plan is to meet with teachers in the Spelling Committee at my school, and share the Normanton State School Spelling Program. Hopefully my colleagues will be just as excited as I am! In the meantime, as holidays are fast approaching, I will endeavour to create as many word work activities as I possibly can. I want to begin improving my Spelling Lessons as of DAY ONE of TERM THREE.

Over the coming weeks I will share some of the independent and small group activities that I am working on as well as some FREEBIES. So be sure to check back!


5 comments:

  1. THANKYOU SO MUCH for this post! I have just completed THRASS training and prior to that I did Michelle Huchisons PD who does the SMART spelling program and it's closely linked to THRASS. As a uni graduate my head is spinning a little when it comes to how I'll be structuring my spelling program for next year, your post makes sense to me and seeing your spelling program really has helped me refine my thoughts on how to go about planning for spelling!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your lovely feedback Heidi. Stepping out of uni into teaching can be really daunting, but I'd like to wish you all the very best for your future teaching career. I've been teaching for close to six years now and I'm really passionate about Spelling. Feel free to check back here to my blog as I have shared some Spelling Resources in other posts and I'll be sharing again really soon. THRASS is an amazing program by the way! :)

      Delete
  2. Dear Rachel,
    Thanks so much for sharing your sample programme. What has the feedback been like from teachers using this? We too have been implementing THRASS and whilst we are familiar with the chart etc and methodology etc, some are struggling to know how to incorporate it into class literacy blocks. Did you end up doing a programme like this for the rest of the year, or did you find teachers started to develop more individual lists for their students based on needs, vocab across other KLA's etc? Thanks again - it really was super helpful as a "launch pad" into implementation. Natalie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Natalie, thank you so much for the wonderful feedback! Towards the end of last year a group of staff at my school looked at revamping the program. However, when we looked into it we found that staff were quite happy with the current version and were using it in both Stage 2 and 3. So we have put our "revamp" to the side for the time being.

      Classroom teachers are expected to use the lists for their class, as well as an additional 5-10 words that are a bit more classroom specific. Currently my grade have students learn their lists (we differentiate) and then also look at a spelling rule e.g. Plurals

      Staff in Stage 3 have also created an additional List 8 to cater towards those GAT students.

      I hope that brings a little more clarity!

      Delete
  3. Will you be up loading programs for other terms? This is fabulous as I have never been in a THRASS school before and haven't had a chance for training yet as its later in the year. Your program has clear lots up for me and made it much easier to know where to begin my program.

    ReplyDelete