Thursday 23 January 2014

HOW TO MAKE Chair Pockets


I have always wanted to make these but have never had the chance... more like didn't know how to make them! However, they were super easy to make. I have included the dimensions and step by step instructions below.


Instructions:
  1. Measure the dimensions of your chair (width, length and depth of pocket) - my measurements were 100cm x 50cm (the pocket was 28cm deep and the sleeve over the chair was also 28cm deep... the rest of the length was made up of seam allowances and the section that joins the pocket to the sleeve)
  2. Choose your material - possibly the hardest step. I bought my material from Spotlight during a special. I got all of my material for $60... which I think it a bargain.
  3. Measure twice, cut once - measure out your pattern and then cut it out.
  4. Pin the hem and sew (refer to image below)
  5. Pin the pocket and sleeve (refer to image below)
  6. Sew down the sides of the material (which is in thirds)
  7. Turn the sleeve in the right way (pocket will already be turned in the right way)
  8. Hang over chair!

I'm not an expert at sewing... actually I'm not very good at all. Yet I was able to make the Chair Pockets... In fact once I got into a routine, it was only taking me about 15 minutes to make each one.


$60 and a day of sewing... well worth it I think!

More Back to School ideas to come!




No comments:

Post a Comment