Monday 26 January 2015

What should I actually spend my money on?

I ask myself this question every year! 

Some years the answer is simple as I have more money in my pocket and less reservations about spending. But lately, I've found it harder and harder to part with cash. It was ok at first… kind of a novelty. However now it feels like I'm constantly spending my money on things, and it's not always worth it. So I've compiled a list of things I BELIEVE that you should spend your money on. Anything outside of this list I would have to seriously question whether or not I'd actually need it. Let's face it… we've all splurged on resources thinking that they will change teaching for us, only for them to be put on a shelf and forgotten about.

The back to school shopping list:

1. A Diary (doesn't matter what type… this is a necessity)
2. Pens/Pencils/Erasers/Rulers/Sharpeners, etc (ONLY if your school does not provide these items). I usually buy a stash for those "just in case" moments and I like to have new stationery for myself… it's kind of therapeutic.
3. A USB (if you don't already have one)
4. A new folder for your program
5. Laminating pouches (we all use them!!)
6. Velcro/Blu-Tac/Thumb Tacs (again only if your school does not provide these items)
7. Soap/Paper Towel/Tissues (I usually get my students to bring in these, but it's nice to have one lot ready to go for the new year)
8. WHITEBOARD markers (my school provides these but they're always hard to get your hands on!!)

Other than these eight things… everything else you spend your money on MUST REQUIRE a lot more thought before handing over the credit card.

Remember that your school does supply you with stationery (obviously each school is slightly different), you can borrow books and other resources from your school library and even your local library. I'm fortunate enough to live close the the Henry Parkes Equity Resource Centre which has stacks of resources that teachers can borrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment