Tuesday 7 June 2016

Returning to Teaching from Maternity Leave

I haven't been writing much lately and that's because in October 2014, I found out that I was pregnant after two years of "trying". Earlier that year I was diagnosed with PCOS and so through diet, exercise and metformin, I was able to successfully fall pregnant.

I took an entire year off from work once I had my bub, but I have now returned in a part-time capacity. I'm only working two days… and I've come to realise that two days is really tricky. Two days away from my little boy seems like FOREVER, and yet when I'm at work, two days is far too short to get everything done. It's also hard because while you're part-time, you're sometimes expected to program and do work like that of someone working a full load.

Anyway, my first day back was horrendous. I had to firstly find something that fit my new, squishy body. I then had to find my handbag, a USB and a pen to write with. On my way to work I had to fight back the tears because I knew once I got started, I'd never stop. When I finally arrived it was a Staff Development Day… WHICH WAS AWESOME because I thought I could acclimatise to everything. But then I was hit with "pedagogy" and "theories" and "PDPs" and all of these new acronyms I had never heard of before.

Image taken from BuzzFeed.com

I felt out of my depth.


I've been back to work for seven weeks now and I'm happy to say that my brain is starting to work again. Terms are coming back to me and so is my confidence (although it's still got a little while to go). Over the next couple of weeks I'm going to update my THRASS and spelling resources. I will share my ideas here with you all -- so watch this space.

I will also be sharing a stack of ATSI websites/ resources and interactives that I have found whilst on Mat Leave just in time for NAIDOC week.

And finally I will be sharing my TOP EIGHT TIPS for heading back to teaching from Maternity Leave.

So keep an eye out for my new posts and feel free to comment below with you 'back to work from maternity leave' story. Surely I'm not the only one who found it difficult???


No comments:

Post a Comment