Friday 17 January 2014

Lego Club


Lego Club

Towards the end of 2013 I started up a Lego Club at my school. I had been wanting to start one for a little while, however, I didn't have the Lego to start it.

I put a post on Facebook asking if anyone had any old Lego that they didn't want. I knew Lego is like gold, so I didn't get my hopes up. However, I had two lovely contacts who had Lego that they wanted to donate... all I had to do was pick it up (actually one of my contacts dropped it off to my school in the end). So I cleaned up and sorted through the Lego... and put it all in a nice, new plastic tub.

Another teacher and I began to advertise the club... we were targeting those kids who don't usually have anyone to play with on the playground. We held the club in my classroom Monday - Thursday and students were free to come and go as they please. We had the following rules that all students had to abide by, but other than that, it was free play:


  • HAVE FUN!
  • ASK BEFORE TAKING
  • RESPECT THE LEGO CREATIONS OF OTHERS
  • CLEAN UP WHEN YOURE DONE
  • TAKE TURNS WHEN PLAYING BOARD GAMES
  • SHARE THE RARE BLOCKS
I have really enjoyed running the Lego Club and I would love to hear from anyone who has run a Lego Club (or similar) in their school. I'm not too sure how it will be organised this year, but I do know for sure, that it was a very effective way to bring together those students who usually struggle to make friends on the playground.

Photo taken by: Matheus_Lourenço

No comments:

Post a Comment