Thursday 16 January 2014

Word of the Day!

Last year I started 'Word of the Day' with my students. I gave each student an exercise book (we called it their Dictionary) and they drew a 5cm column on each page. Each double page was then labelled with a letter, starting with A. Each morning we would look at a new work (word of the day) and they would write the word in the 5cm column along with whether it was a verb, noun, adjective, etc. They would then write the definition and a sentence using the word correctly, in the larger column.

Studying the Word of the Day first thing in the morning is a great way to settle students and reinforce routine. The students in my class then began to pull their dictionary out in writing to help with word choices. I was pretty impressed as this wasn't initiated by myself!!

I have used the SuperKids website for my daily words... I really like the website and have found that the words are age appropriate (Year 4 - Year 6). Link: http://www.superkids.com/aweb/tools/words/middle/ 

However this year, I will be using Vocabulary Word-A-Day Cards published by Teacher's Friend Publications. I picked it up at a Scholastic Book Fair for only a couple of dollars. I'm using this resource because I can then stick the words up on the wall and create a word wall, which will provide further opportunities for students to embed the words into their speaking and writing. There are 158 words and definitions in the pack.


I will post a picture of what the student's dictionaries look like and the word wall, later during the term.

Remember, you can follow me on Pinterest:

No comments:

Post a Comment