Wednesday 15 January 2014

Non-Verbal Signals

Early last year I went to a PBL (Positive Behaviour for Learning) course where I found out about non-verbal signals. 

Sometimes it is so hard to keep track of everyone when you've got a class of 30 students. The lady running the course mentioned non-verbal signals/ cues which can be used by a student to signify whether they understand something or not. I've seen on Pinterest, ideas which teachers have posted, where they use coloured cups. The students are given three cups... a green, orange and red cup. The student will place a cup on their desk as a non-verbal cue to communicate with the teacher as to whether they understand or whether they need more help. The whole idea is meant to be non-threatening and is supposed to help those students who are a little shy about asking for help.

Therefore, I've come up with my own version... each student has a laminated card. The card is folded into thirds and the ends are sticky-taped together, making a triangular prism. On one of the three sides it has 'Got it!' written in green, on the second side is 'Struggling' written in orange, and on the third side is 'STUCK!' written in red. Students are encouraged to flip their three-sided shape so that the side facing outward is what they want to communicate with the teacher. 

If done properly, I can easily look around the room and see who is needing more help and who is capable of working independently.

I started using these signs with my class towards the end of last year... so I'm looking forward to starting the brand new year with them. I'm hoping for positive results! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment